- Digitizing Services
- Digitizing Services
- Slide Scanning Services NT
- Print Scan 3
- Prints From Old Slides
- Reprints of Old Photos
- Medium & Large Format Negatives
- 35mm Negatives
- Photo Albums
- Shipping To DpsDave
- Contact US!
- Before Ordering Support
- After Order is Complete Support
- Order Process
- Place Order
Technology, invented at DpsDave, creates higher quality slide scans at a lower price than anyone else is able to do.
Learn More About Slide Scanning
The quality of a digitized image of a printed photo or slide is determined by the resolution and sensitivity of the scanning equipment, as well as the computer processes which transform the data file created by the scanner into a form that can be viewed, printed, archived and shared.
Slides are made at 5,000 dots per inch (DPI), and to preserve the detail of the original, the scanning equipment needs a resolution of at least this much. Scanning at lower resolutions degrades the sharp edges in the image, and makes the image appear to be slightly out of focus. DpsDave slide scanning is done at 6,000 DPI to preserve all the fine details in the image. This also allows the image to be printed at sizes up to 24×24 inches.
The sensitivity of the scanning equipment is vitally important! Our eyes have a dynamic range of about a million to one. The DpsDave scanning equipment has a dynamic range of 500,000 to 1, and separates DpsDave from the others, who can deliver dynamic ranges of only 64,000 to one. This equipment was developed by DpsDave to address a deficiency associated with photo scanning technology, and is available only from DpsDave.
The data file produced by the DpsDave scanners is a 100MB file, which is too large for most people to use, and in a format that generally available software cannot read. In addition, the DpsDave scanning equipment records levels of detail that exceed what can be shown on modern electronic displays, but does not exceed the ability of modern printers to print. Finally, the dyes used in the slide film are unstable, and have changed over time. Therefore, after each slide is scanned, the DpsDave computers perform over a Billion operations on each image. The result of all this computer work is that the image:
1. Returns to what it looked like before the dyes faded (to the extent possible).
2. Looks good on today’s electronic displays.
3. Will look as good on future electronic displays (with improved performance).
4. Looks good when printed, and looks like what you see on the electronic displays.
5. Will be compatible with all photo viewing programs on all computers around the world.
6. Preserves all the detail contained in the original data file.
7. Will be able to move across the internet freely.
8. Will preserve the copyright privileges of the owner.
9. Will be future proof, so that the files will always be readable, viewable, printable and shareable.
The images we will send you are JPEG files, and will be 3 to 5 MB each. Note that JPEG represents many different of compression algorithms, and that we use the “Loss-less” version.
The DpsDave equipment and processes were designed to do in one second what our competitors take one minute to do. This allows DpsDave to offer lower prices, while operating in the USA.